All local Sale photography provided by Derek Stuart-Cole
Since the beginning of 2017, we have encouraged, coached and inspired hundreds of would-be runners to take their first steps... adults steps... into the world of running.
Our mission is simple - to bring the sport of running to all. Mums, Dads, Grandparents, those with two left feet... we want to take the scariness out of the sport and encourage those, particularly those struggling with health issues, to come along and give it a try. We operate not-for-profit, and any surplus funds are reinvested in the Club, or used to encourage others into the sport of running.
What We've Achieved
- Came runners-up in the National England Athletics Awards for our innovative work with running beginners.
- WON the North West regional award from England Athletics for our success helping running beginners.
- Developed the NHS 'Couch to 5k' plan weeks 1-3 along a coned route on the Bridgewater Canal in Sale, plus our very own beginners' route!
- Developed the NHS 'Couch to 5k' plan weeks 4-9 along a ribboned route on the Bridgewater Canal in Sale, plus interval training options!
- Become supporters of the #ThisGirlCan campaign
- Received local and European news coverage
- Built this website!
- Took on the Gauntlet Games and raised well over £400 for St Ann's Hospice!
- Hosted 'FlipperKeatz', and raised money for The Christie during an epic fundraising weekend!
- Acquired funding from Trafford Council for our running bibs and club logo - an essential piece of kit to identify our runners and keep them safe in Winter!
- Visited #ParkRun with runners from the Club completing their first 5k! To date we have visited Wythenshawe, Stretford, Sale Water and even Conwy!
- Assisted with siting and installing a 24/7 defibrillator at Sale Waterside Plaza for our members and the wider community within Sale, with owner Jane as guardian of the device.
- Provided free self defence classes for our runners.
- Expanded our session offering in the first few months to accommodate our successful runners.
- Partnered with RunTogether, part of England Athletics
- Received discount vouchers from Up and Running, Manchester for our goody bags
- Acquired discounts from Tikiboo, local physiotherapists MHL Physio, Sale Podiatry and Marix Therapy - exclusive for #MileShyClub members!
- Donated all the funds from our Tuesday night sessions from October 2017 to April 2018 to the Mental Health Foundation ahead of club owner Jane's London Marathon attempt!